[CentOS] Having trouble installing flash player on centos 5.3 desktop machine

Sat Apr 4 19:05:23 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> ---Executing: recode
>

> > Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 13:26:11 -0400
> > From: heller at deepsoft.com
> > To: centos at centos.org
> > CC: centos at centos.org
> > Subject: Re: [CentOS] Having trouble installing flash player on centos 5.3	desktop machine

> > > Hi,
> > >

> > >         I'm having trouble getting the flash player installed onto my centos desktop.
> > >
> > > When i go to the adobe site, I click on the YUM for Linux version, then install it, and PC says "/tmp/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch-1.rpm is already installed" - but it's not working.
> >
> > With the yum repo installed, you then need to start a terminal
> > (Applications->System Tools->Terminal, I think -- I don't use gnome, so
> > I am not sure), then in the terminal window you type:
> >
> > sudo yum -y install flash_player
> >
> > Assuming you are loged in as a sudo enabled user (and you really should
> > NOT be loged in as root).  Sudo will ask for a password -- enter your
> > user's password.
> >

> > > So then tried downloading the .tar.gz for linux version, and PC asks me which program to open to install it, and i don't have a clue.
> > >
> > > Then I try downloading the .rpm version for linux, and my pc says "/tmp/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm is already installed", but it's still not working.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > >
> > > Thanks anyone.

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
> > heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk
> >
> >       Hi,
>
> Thanks, I tried your above command logged in as a user, could not get it to install, so I just logged in as
> root and it did not seem to work either.  I tried a couple of commands and the below was the output:
>
> [root at localhost tmp]# yum -y install flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm

NO, you don't give the *file name*, you give the base package name, in
this case 'flash-plugin'.  The repo metadata supplies the proper
version+release (10.0.22.87-release) and arch (i386 or posibly x86_64).
The .rpm gets added somewhere in the bowels of yum, as needed to fetch
the proper file (.hdr is also append when the header is fetched).

You have to understand that there is an important difference between
package *names* and the names of the package *files*.  Generally, the
RPM files in a repository are built up from pieces: a base package
name, its version & release string, its arch, and a file extension
(.rpm for actual packages, .hdr for headers, which contain just the
information needed to process dependencies).  You only ever give yum
the base package name [sometimes qualified with the arch] (except in
the *special* case of 'install-local').  You also only give the base
package name (*possibly* qualified with a version+release and/or arch)
to rpm's query and erase (-q & -e) functions.  You do give the actual
file name for the install and update functions (-i and -U) of rpm.

This can seem confusing to novice users of RPM (less so with yum, since
there is a greater level of overal consistency). Think of it like this:
yum always deals in packages by *name* at the UI level (yum takes care
of the mapping between packages *names*and the package *files*).  In the
case of RPM, you install or update a package with a package file.  Once
installed, the package *file* is no longer of use to RPM, since what is
installed is the *package* not the package file itself.