[CentOS] Having trouble installing flash player on centos 5.3 desktop machine

Sat Apr 4 20:31:59 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 11:14 -0700, Linda Stark wrote:

> > From: CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
> <snip headers>

> > On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 10:11 -0700, Linda Stark wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm having trouble getting the flash player installed onto my
> centos
> > > desktop.
> > >
> > > When i go to the adobe site, I click on the YUM for Linux version,
> > > then install it, and PC says
> > > "/tmp/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch-1.rpm is already installed"
> -
> > > but it's not working.

After reading the other replies, I can see now that more questions may
have been appropriate. I coalesce my thoughts near the end.

> <snip>

> > What I do know, is this.
> >
> > $ rpm -q adobe-release-i386
> > adobe-release-i386-1.0-1

The first step to getting where you want to go is to know where you are
at. The commands I've shown above and below should be used to see what's
on your system. Run the commands and post the results in your reply.

BTW, *please* snip out some of the chaff. The replies can be hard to
follow and get longer and longer with repeated text. Thanks.

> > $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/flash-plugin
> > flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release

The above was just FYI.

> > $ rpm -q --filesbypkg flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release
> > flash-plugin /usr/lib/flash-plugin
> > flash-plugin /usr/lib/flash-plugin/LICENSE
> > flash-plugin /usr/lib/flash-plugin/README
> > flash-plugin /usr/lib/flash-plugin/homecleanup
> > flash-plugin /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> > flash-plugin /usr/lib/flash-plugin/setup
> > flash-plugin /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87
> > flash-plugin /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87/readme.txt

The above was, again, an FYI.

The next one can only be relied upon if you have run updatedb after
latest updates and/or other noteworthy changes have been made.

> > $ locate flash-plugin
> > /usr/lib/flash-plugin
> > /usr/lib/flash-plugin/LICENSE
> > /usr/lib/flash-plugin/README
> > /usr/lib/flash-plugin/homecleanup
> > /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> > /usr/lib/flash-plugin/setup
> > /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87
> > /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87/readme.txt

Above was another FYI.

> > <snip>

> > You *may* want to setup the repository for Adobe if you want updates
> > automatically (or manually) via yum. IIRC, the instructions are on
> the
> > web site.
> >
> > If you do set up the repository and import the gpg key, etc., then a
> > "yum list available", "yum install <pkgname>", etc. will work for it
> > just like anything else.

Ok. Based on the other posts in this thread, I don't know how to advise
you to proceed. Before I go on to what you have posted below ...

Did you run the commands I first posted to you? If so, what did they
show? I just need to know where you are.

Do you have the Adobe repo set up for yum? If not, you should do that
first. Manually downloading and installing can work, but it is more work
than is needed, error prone and flies in the face of the "enterprise
distro" strategy.

I see from another post that you may have downloaded that file
into /tmp. *If* you want to install from there (I advise against that -
set up the repository for adobe and "Use the Force (yum) Linda") you
need to run rpm with the --install flag and the name of the file. I
don't know if you tried this already since you didn't show the commands
you used. Here is a sample (it'll fail because it's installed already)
using another package.

As another poster noted, you must be root (or sudo) to install
system-wide packages in system directories, which these packages do.

# rpm --install adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
        package adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch is already installed

Also as another noted, if you are using yum, you do not download the rpm
yourself (as it seems you did originally from the Adobe site). And you
do not give the name of the rpm file or even all the version stuff. A
base package name will most often do. Sometimes you may need it with an
architecture. A sample for when the Adobe repository has been set up and
you have imported the gpg key is like this.

# yum install flash-plugin
Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror,
              : fedorakmod, kernel-module, priorities, tsflags,
versionlock
 * rpmforge: apt.sw.be
 * base: mirror.newnanutilities.org
 * updates: mirror.newnanutilities.org
 * centosplus: mirror.skiplink.com
 * addons: mirror.steadfast.net
 * extras: ftp.linux.ncsu.edu
adobe-linux-i386

<snip extraneous stuff from yum>

Ok. This is a good place to stop with the general stuff. If I can be of
further help, I'll need to know "where you are" in terms of running some
of those commands I first posted.

Now, on to your post below.

> ><snip sig stuff>

> Hi,
>
> Thanks I'll do some research on google.  For now, I am assuming that
> the file I need to install is
> "flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm" - is this correct?  I
> downloaded it from adobe, assuming it
> got saved in tmp.

AHA! *Now* I see. *If* you *really* want to do it this way, use the rpm
command with --install like I showed above. However, if you do it this
way, you get an "Aw Shit", which as we all know wipes out 1000 "'Atta
Boys".   ;-)

Anyway, downloading to /tmp was ok for that method.

> And you are saying I should move the file out of tmp before install?

No. In the wee hours of the morning, only one of my two remaining brain
cells had received its initial caffeine dose and I did not recognize all
the implications of the file name. Mea Culpa!

> Linda
>
> [root at localhost tmp]# ls -la
> <snip>

As before, I say set up yum using the instructions on the Adobe site. If
you have trouble, post back. I'll be alert and here for a few hours at
least.

HTH
--
Bill