[CentOS] Nvidia driver on CentOS 5.3 Solved

Mon Apr 6 09:48:40 UTC 2009
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Behalf
>Of Sorin Srbu
>Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 2:52 PM
>To: 'CentOS mailing list'
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Nvidia driver on CentOS 5.3
>
>>the rpmforge driver *is* the proprietary nvidia driver. It's just nicely
>>packaged in an rpm, with dkms for rebuilding when you get a new kernel.
>>It's also not the latest version, which may or may not be a problem for
>>you. It's working well enough for a lot of people, but YMMV.
>
>Thx, I'm trouble-shooting now. Dkms autoinstaller something-or-other didn't
>go down too well. Looks promising though. 8-)

It worked! Turns out I had some other Nvidia-driver already installed.
Running "yum reinstall Nvidia-x11-drv" and "yum install kernel*" fixed it.
Now /etc/X11/xorg.conf says it's using driver "nvidia" instead of "nv".

Thanks for the help guys!