[CentOS] kernel update doesn't update grub.conf

Wed Apr 8 09:39:27 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 01:43 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Barry Brimer wrote on Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:30:44 -0500:
>
> > According to /sbin/new-kernel-pkg .. the file that actually gets updated on x86
> > and x86_64 systems is /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> And as I already mentioned in my first posting this file *got* touched. The last
> modified date got changed, but not the file itself. Comparing it with a file on
> another machine doesn't reveaL any obvious differences. Specifically, the default
> entry that should get used as a template is exactly the same, even with the tabs,
> only the root path is different.
> Comparing the /boot directories I recognize now that I have 3 kernels left on a
> machine where it worked, but 4 on the machine where grub.conf didn't get updated.
> This is obviously not set in /etc/sysconfig/kernel. Is this a yum setting? I
> remember there is configuration how many kernels to keep, but I can't  find it.

/etc/yum.conf

The installonlypkgs and installonly_limit keywords. The first, according
to man yum.conf, defaults to kernel, kernel-smp, kernel-bigmem,
kernel-enterprise, kernel-debug, kernel-unsupported and the latter to 3.

--
Bill