[CentOS] kernel update doesn't update grub.conf

Wed Apr 8 18:51:31 UTC 2009
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 4-7-2009 2:16 PM Robert spake the following:
> William L. Maltby wrote:

>>> Sorry, I was talking about /boot/grub/grub.conf. I wasn't aware that one could
>>> assume I was talking about /etc/grub.conf.
>>>
>> Well, JIC, make sure yoyr /boot/grub entries look like this.
>>
>> ls -l /boot/grub/[gm]*
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    8 May  9  2008 /boot/grub/grub.conf ->
>> menu.lst
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1108 Apr  2 21:33 /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>
>> I'm not sure why it's set this way, probably some historical reason.
>>
>> I only mention because I don't even know which the update process
>> affects. If they aren't linked, I guess that might cause a problem.
>>
> I have long been amazed at that relationship.  Mine is not the same as
> yours. (CentOS 5.3 totally updated)
>
>         [root at mavis download]# ls -l /boot/grub/[gm]* /etc/grub.conf
>         -rw------- 1 root root 2378 Apr  2 15:07 /boot/grub/grub.conf
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   11 Aug  7  2008 /boot/grub/menu.lst ->
>         ./grub.conf
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Aug  7  2008 /etc/grub.conf ->
>         ../boot/grub/grub.conf
>         [root at mavis download]#
>
> So, while menu.lst is the real file and  grub.conf  is a symlink to it
> on your system, the opposite is true on mine. I have no idea how that
> happened. I do know that when I do a manual edit, I don't go through a
> "who's on first" routine. I just edit one of them and move on to the
> next windmill.

That has been there since RedHat switched from lilo to grub. Either there was
some hard coded stuff they didn't want to mess with, or the anaconda team and
the grub conversion team didn't communicate very well. That had to be back at
least to RedHat 7.0, if not in the 6's.