[CentOS] when to reboot after updates

Thu Apr 9 16:01:38 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Robert Heller wrote:
> >
> >> What is the rule of thumb for reboots after updates...
> >>
> >> Certainly if I update from 5.2 to 5.3 I reboot.
> >>
> >> But if you update something like krb5 or pam
> >> does that require a reboot? Does the "fix" get automatically loaded and used
> >> or do you just do a reboot always?
> >
> > You only *really* need to reboot if/when you update the kernel. Yum/RPM
> > takes care of restarting daemons, etc. during the update process.  This
> > is NOT MS-Windows....
>
> Yes, but any program that is already running will keep using the old
> versions of the program, libraries, open files, etc., retaining the disk
> space and not sharing the in-memory copy with new instances that start
> after the update.  And since modern programs like to dynamically load
> library modules as needed while running you can get a strange mix of
> old/new versions running at once.

Generally, this is not as bad as it seems.  In some cases, some updates
do restart critical daemons (rpm -hUv glibc... will restart sshd for
example). Also, since most critical library updates also imply a similar
update for the deamons/programs that use those libraries and since the
rpms for the deamon programs do restart the deamon they install/update,
in most cases the deamons do get restarted at some point during the
update process -- that is, since httpd (Apache) depends on apr and when apr
gets a critical update, it is very likely that the httpd program would
also be rebuilt as well, so that both rpms are updated in the repo.  A
'yum update' will install the new apr rpm, then the new httpd rpm and at
that point restart httpd, this picking up the new apr library.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933