[CentOS] when to reboot after updates

Thu Apr 9 18:10:24 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Scott Silva wrote:

>> And in one case, I got kicked off of my ssh connection in mid-update.
>> I'm still not sure what happened there but I had to install yum-utils
>> and run yum-recover-transaction to continue.
>>
> I always run my updates through screen. That way disconnects aren't a problem.
> During major updates I also usually run yum with the --downloadonly option so
> I can have most of the files local when I am ready.

I had done the --downloadonly - and the disconnect wasn't network
related as other connections to the same site stayed up.  It seemed like
something in the cleanup pass killed sshd - and the running yum, leaving
a mess.  The transaction recovery list was mostly erasing the old
packages.   But, this only happened on one machine out of many upgraded
in exactly the same way so I don't really understand it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com