[CentOS] What is writing to my filesystem

Thu Apr 9 23:15:23 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> I have a CentOS 5.2 box that every few months runs out of drivespace on
> its root filesystem. Last time I manually searched and deleted some big
> files, but don't remember what they were or what wrote to them. The
> applications I'm aware of on the box don't write to /.

You have /var and/or /tmp on separate filesystems?  If not, that is
where things are being written to.  Specificly, look in /tmp,
/var/log/, and under /var/spool.  Is /var/tmp separate from /tmp?  What
about /usr/tmp?  If you don't run the machine 24/7, logrotate might not
be run, this would mean your log files (under /var/log) will grow and
grow and grow ...  If you don't have an email alias for root (I assume
you don't login as root!), then /var/spool/mail/root will grow and grow
and grow ... as well (all sorts of silly messages sent to root).  It is
also possible that stuff is accumulating under /var/spool/lpd as well,
although this will be small files.