[CentOS] x86_64 server OOM problems after update to 5.3

Mon Apr 13 20:02:44 UTC 2009
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 15:25 -0400, Rick Barnes wrote:
> JohnS wrote:
>
> > Seeing as you said you upgraded from 5.2 - 5.3 I would be looking at the
> > kernel release notes and the mysql release notes for known problems
> > since you did not have prior problems. I would check out the Cacti and
> > DNS Databases because there more realtime in nature to running on the
> > server than the content ones. Using the script I posted will catch the
> > offending query. I myself would take a hard look @ MYSQL itself. There
> > is a huge debate about it not being Production Ready. Last option would
> > be to do a yum --allow-downgrade until it's sorted out on a test
> > machine.
>
> It appears as though apache is to blame:
>
> http://pastebin.centos.org/25568
>
> By stopping and starting apache, %swpused went from 92.84% to 6.41% and
> has remained for about an hour now.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
---
Now you get to nail down the offending site/application. By the way
that's a lot of ram for apache to eat up. I may be wrong but didn't
MYSQL show eating all that RAM also? Keep in mind that bad sql queries
will also make a web server eat ram. Totally dependent on your
situation.

JohnStanley