[CentOS] 5.3 and XFS (fwd)

Fri Apr 17 22:25:32 UTC 2009
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Apr 17, 2009, at 5:01 PM, "James A. Peltier" <jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca>
wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Ross Walker wrote:
>
>> I think it's worth while to keep xfs updated for a while until ext4
>> has made enough of an in-road to say xfs should be depreciated in
>> favor of ext4.
>>
>> -Ross
>
> Considering that it still takes several minutes to format a
> partition with EXT4
> vs the couple of seconds for XFS, I don't see XFS depricated *any*
> time soon.

Time to format isn't really an issue as it is done once before being
put into production. The biggest concern is processing performance and
time to fsck as well as data integrity and recoverability.

Besides XFS allocates inodes on the fly, that's why it's so fast
formatting, but why ext4 is a little faster processing.

-Ross