[CentOS] One for the Cisco experts...

Tue Apr 21 17:55:35 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Sean Carolan wrote:
>> I have a Cisco 6509 switch that I'm monitoring with SNMP from a
>> CentOS5 machine.  SNMP polls are the only access I have to this
>> device, we are not allowed to log on via telnet.
>>
>> How can I find out which port on the switch a particular server is
>> connected to?  I was hoping that this is somehow possible using the
>> mac address and the data gathered from snmpwalk/snmpget requests but
>> I'm not having much luck.  How would you tackle this problem?
>
> Uncomment the Linkd service in service-configuration.xml.  Then, at
> least if the connected device is also monitored the 'View Node Link
> Detailed Info' link on the node screen will show the connected device.

Oops - I was looking at an adjacent message and thought this was for the
OpenNMS mail list.  The advice still stands - all :-) you have to do is
install opennms first (http://www.opennms.org).  They have a yum
repository that includes a suitable jvm so it isn't that hard to install
on Centos.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com