[CentOS] gdm login as root automatically

Tue Apr 21 18:35:06 UTC 2009
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if someone knows how to "automatically" login as root
> with gdm and gnome.
>
> I have been doing some searching, and havent been able to find a method.
> I dont want to login
> automatically all the time - its just part of install setup.
> 1) kickstart install
> 2) post section do somethings
> 3) setup so on reboot auto login as root
> 4) complete installing some things and REMOVE the auto root login.

If you're doing it via kickstart (which is what I have), you can try
something like this in the kickstart post sections:
%post
useradd -p '$1$aqFmf2PA$VVacErRFawntEp9asdasasdasd' kwan
sed -i -e "s/^\(AutomaticLoginEnable=\).*$/\1true/" /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
sed -i -e "s/^\(AutomaticLogin=\).*$/\1kwan/" /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

All that does is add the AutomaticLogin to gdm.. Not sure if it works
for root thogh.