[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Wed Apr 22 17:15:43 UTC 2009
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Dan Roberts <dan at jlazyh.com> wrote:
> Hey there -
>
> This morning I ran the yum updater through Webmin as I do every month
> or so - after about two hours I realized that I still had the same
> updating screen going - and no response.   Seemed strange.

So you probably missed the notes and announcements about the 5.3
release, as well as the release notes about upgrade hiccups.
There are also quite a few updates here, so the update will take some
time to run.

> Simple attempts to kill it didn't work so I sent a command to reboot
> the system - that seemed to work, till I turned on the monitor
> directly connected to the server -

Updating via webmin may not be the best approach, as some things may
update which could impact webmin.

> I saw this error go by - and then only a spinning cursor - never get
> to a login screen.  (I power cycled again and saw it go by again - and
> recognized it when I tried again at Webmin and through a terminal
> connection).

Power cycling a system should be considered a last-resort option, not
a method for troubleshooting.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in ?
>     import yummain
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 29, in ?
>     import cli
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 30, in ?
>     import output
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/output.py", line 26, in ?
>     from i18n import _
> ImportError: No module named i18n
>
> I deleted the yum cash and no improvement.  I tried the yum clean and
> no imporvement
> [root at trailrunner yum]# yum clean all
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in ?
>     import yummain
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 29, in ?
>     import cli
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 30, in ?
>     import output
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/output.py", line 26, in ?
>     from i18n import _
> ImportError: No module named i18n
> [root at trailrunner yum]#
>
> Not at all sure what happened or why, or where I even start trying to
> straighten this mess out.

For systems which experienced issues moving from 5.2 to 5.3, a 'yum
clean all' resolved the majority of issues.

> How do I blow away the apparent yum junk in the hope of getting a
> local login capability back?

Yum doesn't have anything to do with logging into the system at all.
I'm not sure why you think this would help. However as previously
stated a 'yum clean all' should 'blow away' the yum bits. Further
nuking yum transactions is not to be done lightly, and requires the
yum-utils package to be installed. We'll go over that command later if
we have to.

> How or what should I do to reset yum - seems reinstalling the latest
> version is probably the route.  What is the version that CentOS
> uses?   Should I go the RPM route or try something more specific?
>
> Totally unexpected problem and leaving me feeling very uncertain about
> things.

Please subscribe to the Centos-Announce list. You got blind-sided by a
very public release because you only update every month or so, and
don't generally follow updates in a manner most admins would consider
'good practice'. I believe that had you been aware of the 5.3 release,
you would have been a bit more careful in things.

George Orwell