[CentOS] One for the Cisco experts...

Wed Apr 22 17:22:59 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> It was somewhat difficult to install on Centos (mostly just getting a
>> Sun JVM installed sanely) until they added the yum repository.  It is
>> still somewhat complicated to deal with all of the things it can do so
>> I'd suggest joining the mailing list if you haven't already.  It does
>> support many more devices out of the box than netdisco, including hosts
>> as well as network equipment. If you want it to collect snmp data for
>> graphs on the switch ports that don't have addresses you can set
>> collection manually for each one or just change snmpStorageFlag to "all'
>> in datacollection-config.xml.
>
> OpenNMS is now crawling my network and discovering all the servers.
> I'm not seeing how to find which switch and port each device is
> plugged into.  If I browse to a node and click on it's network
> interface, it says this:
>
> --------------------------
> Link Node/Interface
> No link information has been collected for this interface.
> --------------------------
>
> Is that where the port and switch information is supposed to show up?
> Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Back to my first email message when I thought you were already using
OpenNMS...  You have to uncomment the Linkd service in
etc/service-configuration.xml, then restart opennms and give it some
time to probe.  Then it should show from the 'View Node Link Detailed
Info' at the top left of a node page.  The weakest part of the program
is the web admin section.  While it does a lot, there is much more that
you can control via the xml config files.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com