[CentOS] Yum update corrupted something badly - can only get access through SSH terminal or Webmin

Wed Apr 22 18:08:07 UTC 2009
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

Dan Roberts wrote:
> thanks for the details - As the server lives in a closet without a
> monitor on it or even easy access I opted for Webmin so as to have the
> ability to get in and work with it.
>
> I will resubscribe and get back into a better habit - I had been
> checking every day a year ago, and then life got busy.
>
> Things were fine, and I had no trouble the in January when i put a
> monitor on it for some other reasons - but after the hang today it now
> is stuck.
>
> As my cut and past below indicates, the "yum clean all" results in a
> consistent set of errors - any yum command seems to return the same
> errors.
>
> Regardless of how or why they were caused, the issue now is how to
> clear them out so that I can actually get yum to work -
>
> [root at trailrunner yum]# yum clean all
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/bin/yum", line 28, in ?
>      import yummain
>    File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 29, in ?
>      import cli
>    File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 30, in ?
>      import output
>    File "/usr/share/yum-cli/output.py", line 26, in ?
>      from i18n import _
> ImportError: No module named i18n
> [root at trailrunner yum]#

there was an issue with the update to 5.3 in that the glibc libraries
needed to be updated prior to the remainder otherwise rpm had issues -
this is probably what yum is choking on
try
#>rpm -uv glibc*
after that try yum clean all and then see what happens
HTH