[CentOS] One for the Cisco experts...

Thu Apr 23 03:18:37 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Craig White wrote:

> Thus far (and admittedly this is premature), I find Zenoss a lot beefier
> but I spent a ton of time setting it up the first time until I figured
> things out whereas I spent comparatively no time setting OpenNMS up. But
> I have learned things along the way, especially getting SNMP set up on
> everything I could.

Basically, Opennms will auto-discover the ranges you give it, detecting
an assortment of services and snmp, then automatically poll what it
discovers on 5 minute intervals and report outages.  You can configure
thresholds levels in the snmp data to generate alarms.  You have to add
whatever setup you want for external notificatons - they are off by
default but you can set up email destinations, a jabber group
conference, etc.  There are near-infinite other options, of course, but
that covers most of what you are likely to want.

I found this pdf with a much nicer overview:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://www.ukuug.org/events/spring2009/programme/introduction-to-opennms.pdf&ei=jNvvSd3xDtTelQfphIDZDA&sig2=7vpdGBzMcZoATeczKIZh7g&usg=AFQjCNEy6gnHrSgQOneREKleuRvgAssmHw

> This is a Dell PowerConnect 6248 'managed' switch so I would think it
> could. I enabled monitoring on all of the ports just in case.

I wouldn't be too hopeful without some extra work.  I have a pair of
Dell 5324's and am not getting the link info, but it works on a bunch of
different cisco models.  It does collect the bandwidth data from the
Dells - the rest might be a matter of adding more of the oid trees to
the 'included' view but the Dell switch management is kind of weird.

Per http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Linkd you need the
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.ip.ipNetToMediaTable values.

> One thing that is throwing me for a loop is that it says all the
> Macintosh systems are a 10Mbps SNMP connection but on the Macs
> themselves, they clearly indicate 1Gbps. This somewhat tracks all of the
> pain that I have had with SNMP collection on the Macs, which on Zenoss
> has been less than spectacular.

I hadn't tried a Mac before - the default settings don't look that
promising.  It should all boil down to getting the oid trees you need
exposed, though.

 > For example, I get installed software
> list, total installed memory, total hard drive space, free hard drive
> space on all Linux and Windows systems but only get total hard drive
> space and total installed memory on Macs. On Zenoss, I have resorted to
> ssh collection on Macs because snmp collection just sort of sucks.

Might be a good topic for the opennms list.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com