[CentOS] eth0 killed when adding virtual interface and multiple NICs are present

Sat Apr 25 22:31:20 UTC 2009
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

JohnS wrote on Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:32:06 -0400:

> You *must* specify the HWADDR field in the ifcfg-* files in order to
> have persistent ethernet naming.

And that is what I always do. Never done it another way.
You may have overlooked that part in my message where I state that it
works without a problem despite this juggling around until I add a virtual
interface to eth0. I'll try tomorrow adding HWADDR to eth0:1 as well, but
I think this will fail.
I guess I will have to turn off in the BIOS or remove eth2 and maybe eth1
as well tomorrow and run some more tests with just one adapter and then
add to it. I hope I can switch off eth2 in the BIOS somehow. I would hate
to remove it as it is below the SAS adapter and the many SATA cables.

Thanks for the answers so far. At least confirms that the simple juggling
around of the main network interfaces is normal and to be expected.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany