[CentOS] E-Mail Serving Options

Mon Apr 27 18:54:03 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What are my e-mail serving options? I need to host POP, IMAP and SMTP.
> I must admit that non-windows e-mail hosting has always been a chore
> for me. I remember QMail and QPopper IIRC.

'nix systems seperate email into two seperate functions, A) the message
transfer agent or MTA, of which sendmail and postfix are the two main
solutions, qmail is deprecated in most circles. exim is yet another
option, and B) the IMAP/POP services for clients to read mail, of which
dovecot and cyrus are the two main choices nowdays, qpopper is quite
hoary and old and deprecated.

of the two main MTAs, sendmail is considered something of a legacy, and
if you're not already intimately familiar with it, I'd skip it
entirely.   postfix is preferred by most everyone who's switched to it,
and for new installs.

dovecot is probably simpler to setup and use as an imap/pop system,
while cyrus is more flexible and complex (for instance, cyrus can use a
SQL database for its backing store and for virtual mail users, rather
than requiring unix accounts and flat files).

of course, as soon as you open a mail server up to incoming internet
mail, you need to configure spam filtering or you'll be swamped.
there's many different approaches to this, and most people end up using
a combination of several.   razor, spamassassin, mailscanner, an
antivirus scan if you have windows users, an RBL like zen.spamhaus.net
to block well known spam sources, etc etc etc.