[CentOS] Directory and File Perms

Wed Apr 29 21:30:19 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>I have a directory shared out via Samba for Quickbooks and seem
>to have some issues with permissions. The directory being shared
>is a subdirectory in an ext3 partition being mounted with the acl
>option.
>
>It has been setup as follows:
>     chown root:DOMAIN\AD_Group /mnt/Intuit_Data/
>     chmod 2770 /mnt/Intuit_Data/
>
>And the Samba share config is has:
>     create mask = 0660
>     directory mask = 0770
>
>So when a user creates a file from their Windows box through Explorer
>or any other app, it gets perms as you might expect:
>     -rw-rw---- 1 Domain+jcasale DOMAIN+AD_Group       0 Apr 29 14:24 test.txt
>and it can be deleted by anyone.
>
>Problem is QB uses gamin and this file monitoring daemon runs as root
>and all sorts of changes take place as you work with the data, from creating
>the company file to editing it in QB, it ends up slowly changing to 0400?

You probably want to look at the ``force user'' and/or ``force group''
share settings in Samba (or look for a Real Accounting(tm) package in place
of QB :-).

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Freedom from prices is freedom from responsibility. You can simply pass
laws, using the magic wand of government to satisfy your own desires at
unspecified costs to be paid by others. -- Thomas Sowell Aug 2000