[CentOS] Directory and File Perms

Wed Apr 29 22:09:54 UTC 2009
Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>

>I don't think that would even solve the problem because gamin reports to
>QB and then QB makes the changes as per the FAM docs which is the older
>of gamin.
>http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/doc.html
>
>There is no explicit docs on gamin on the gnome site. They refer to FAM
>as the per the documentation.
>
>Question: Did QB give you documentation on how to set it under Linux?

I was just about to post the same thing after I thought about it, as
gamin operates on the files outside of Samba...

They did provide a guide, but its weak and the setup from what I can see
is not secure. They suggest:

# chmod -R 775 /directory
# chgrp -R groupname /directory
[share_name]
path = /directory
comment = samba share for company files
valid users = user1 user2 user3
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mask = 0765

Not sure why "other" gets anything? I don't even see how that cures the
issues imposed? I think that continued access by the client works, it's
just when they try to delete a company...

The only thing I can think of is a cron job with a find excluding the
lost+found performing a chmod/chown? That's just silly though. What a POS.

Thanks!
jlc