[CentOS] things weirdly different in new installation

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Aug 1 02:47:34 UTC 2009

I've just built a new system and installed latest Centos 5.3 on it. My old
box also has an up to date Centos 5 on it.

Some things are just plain different between the two installations, and
it's stumping me why that would be. Example:

on the old box, the shutdown dialog offers restart, cancel, shutdown,
and also standby and hibernate. and the standby and hibernate options
work, too.

The new box, it only offers restart, cancel, or shutdown.

Oddly, the main "System" dropdown offers "suspend" as well as "logoff"
and "shutdown" submenus.

Since it's a desktop, I won't often want to suspend or hibernate, but
it may occasionally be nice to have the option to hibernate (e.g.,
power is off, UPS is about dead, hibernate could save my work.)

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!