[CentOS] Split dns issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:54:29 UTC 2009

Jason Pyeron wrote:

>> I'd expect the most common case to be mail user agents that
>> have to be specifically configured for the forwarding smtp
>> server anyway.
>
> In fact most are default configurations. An engineer will up an (vm) image, give
> it some tasks to do (temp website, software builds, experimental config, etc...)
> and the data/logs are emailed to him when done.

You might be able to handle these scenarios by providing a different
internal-only DNS domain that you configure your mail server to accept
in addition to the current domain.  Then anyone who wants to skip the
spam scan can use a target mail address with the internal name.

>> What else do you have sending a lot of
>> internal mail?
>
> Think about things like logwatch, cron, at, etc..., but not always on linux.
> This will get forwarded to support or a specific engineer.
>

>> Or are these laptops that may or may not have
>> direct access to the internal server?
>>

> That is one of our use cases, exactly, and that is where this mail will come
> from.

This one is harder - maybe even impossible to get completely right if
you count the case where you set up temporary VPN access to reach the
internal target from a LAN where you also need to maintain similar
private DNS mapping, for example to access a local printer.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com