[CentOS] Autorun ability on cd?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:33:31 UTC 2009

James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have a little niggling situation that I would like to resolve
> programmatically.  I use Git as my SCM and I have release branches
> which are sometimes patched.  I find myself sometimes entering the
> working directory tree forgetting that I was last on a release
> branch and not on the master.
>
> What I would like to do is to have a script run every time that I
> enter a directory, check for .git, and if it finds it then simply do
> a git-branch for me so that which I am on is forcefully pointed out
> to me before I proceed to do something foolish.
>
> All I can come up with from searching wrt cd is details on why one
> cannot change the working directory of a running script and various
> kluges around this.  I do not wish to change the pwd of the shell, I
> just want some way of testing for a certain file and running a
> specific command if it is found when I enter a working tree. If this
> requires testing every directory that I cd to then I can live with
> that.  If instead one can put a script that runs only when one
> enters certain directories then I can live with that as well.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

If you are talking about the command line, a shell function replacement
for cd might work.

cd() {
builtin cd $@
pwd  # replace with your commands...
}

You could put this in your .bashrc or export (-f) it from .bash_profile
so subshells get it.  I generally don't like surprises, so I'd probably
name the funtion cdg or something else and use that when I wanted the
special behavior.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com