[CentOS] Serious bug in OpenOffice.org Calc shipped with CentOS

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 13:49:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 04:21, Niki Kovacs<contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
> And right now I discover that one crucial function of Calc, "fill
> series", doesn't work. Let's say I type "lundi" (monday) in one cell, so
> I can pull Calc's handle to fill other cells with the days of the week.
> Doing the same with "janvier" (january) does so with the names of the
> month.

Well, as a workaround, it works if you use real dates.

For example, if you fill in 2009-08-03 (Monday this week) in one of
the cells, it will recognize that as a date, then you pull the handle
to to fill other cells, it will open the Fill Series dialog, then you
choose Series type: Date and click OK. Then you can use Format ->
Cells, go to the Number tab and choose custom format "NNN" which will
give you the weekday in your current language.

For the month it's the same, start with 2009-01-01, in the Fill Series
dialog choose Series type: Date and Time unit: Month, click OK. Then
format it as "MMMM" and only the month name will be shown.

I think that's not as easy as you expected, but I believe it's an
acceptable workaround...

I just tested this on OpenOffice.org in CentOS 5, version
2.3.0-6.10.el5, and it works as I describe it.

Other than that, you can uninstall OpenOffice from CentOS and install
the one from www.openoffice.org. I run successfully OpenOffice.org
3.1.0 from the RPMs in www.openoffice.org in both CentOS 4 and 5 in
x86_64 architecture.

HTH,