[CentOS] Centos 5.3 live-cd install -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Aug 10 19:22:46 UTC 2009

Robert Heller wrote:

>> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>

>>> You can do a netinstall via the LiveCD too.  This is identical to doing
>>> the install via the netinstall CD.
>>>
>> Which again means lots of new downloads for him while installing
>> over the 'net.  I feel for the guy, having been on slow dialup with
>> lots of noise on the long rural phone lines for years...
>>

> Actually he is in *worse* shape: he is on satelite internet.  With the
> Fair Use Limit, the first 450-500 meg will download quickly enough, then
> things will be *worse* than dial-up.  He would have to halt the install
> and wait 24 hours and then resume it for the next 450-500 meg...  Unless
> he does a super minimual install and then does a series of 'yum install
> ..', each under 500 meg each day until done.  Could take all of a week
> that way, or about how long it would take for CheapBytes to mail out a
> CentOS 5.3 DVD or CD set...

    Actually I only need a minimal install in that computer since I plan
    on using it as a file server.

    As for the "fair use policy" the examples you cite apply to Hughes I
    believe but Wildblue is better in that respect.  I could use the
    entire 17 gig's in one day if I wanted. There would be no problem
    with that but it would take me 30 days to recover bandwidth. So for
    someone doing Linux o/s downloads Wildblue is better. A good wired
    connection would be better yet and we would take that in a heart
    beat but it's not happening here in the sticks!

    I have two other computers running F-10 installed from the live-cd.
    It does take some additional downloads to make them do what I want
    but then I'm only taking what I want which helps to keep it to a
    minimum. I think I still come out ahead that way.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Bob