[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Ian Murray murrayie at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 01:10:39 UTC 2009

You are probably right there. I lost interest in Linux for ages because of what RH did. It was CentOS that re-ignited my interest. I felt like I could 'get back' what I had lost when Redhat killed RHL. I didn't 'get' the security implications of the rebuild stuff til it was explained to me the other day. I spent some time this  morning looking at alternatives to the rebuild type distro because I now realise there are flaws in the approach (not CentOS's fault, before anyone starts!). My day job is a Lotus Domino consultant. Domino is certified to run on RHEL and Suse, AFAIR, so the rebuild is a Godsend. I haven't tried running it on OpenSuse, yet!

Personally I think we'd have all been better off walking away from anything
related to Red Hat on the day they changed their redistribution policy, but
there wasn't a great alternative at the time.  Now there's ubuntu and
OpenSolaris if I weren't too lazy to learn a new administration style.  Maybe if
enough people switch RH will go back to selling service without restricting access.

--
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com