[CentOS] yum update

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:53:25 UTC 2009

Geoff Galitz wrote:
>>> Can any one clarify this, is auto updating at all production servers
>>> recommended or not?
>>> need to know your opinion, how do you manage the update?
>>>

> I've worked on projects where backend configuration files changed in syntax
> or architecture between releases, which were released as updates... so I
> know for a fact updates can break a running system.

On CentOS?  Fedora does that all the time but _not_ having behavior-changing
updates in the long life of a major release is most of the point of 'enterprise'
distributions.  It's probably not perfect - and I wouldn't do auto-updates on
production servers either but it should at least be very unusual for a CentOS
update to break anything.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com