[CentOS] DNS Server Recommendations

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Sat Aug 15 03:31:48 UTC 2009

From: Robert Spangler Sent: August 14, 2009 19:22

> I would suggest placing one on each site.  That way you can cut
> the traffic between sites for DNS lookups.  I would also ensure that
> only one does the updates per domain.

That makes sense and is essentially what I was planning to do.

> The reason I asked is you should not have a shared domain that
> can be updated by more then one master.  You risk losing data or
> valid data being over written.

Again makes sense. So my idea of setting up the two sites as two
domains would then be the logical extension of this.

> Been there and done that.  I now have a book shelf where I keep
> all my books and manuals.

Well.... I already have four book shelves, two four-drawer filing
cabinets, two large desks, work table and about a dozen storage boxes.
Of course lets not forget about the 5 PC waiting to prep, 3-4 that
have been pulled from service but are still functional, another
bunch that I have scavenging for spare parts, actual new spare parts,
tools, a bunch if shipping boxes the are really should break down
and put in the recycling bins. Just think of me as a packrat with
OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

The book is here somewhere but I am just not sure where. I guess it
is time for spring cleaning.

> If you are worried about valid config then you should be using
> the tools that
> come with Bind instead of relying on some third party software.
>
> named-checkconf for checking the configuration of Bind
> named-checkzone for checking the zone file.
>
> There are man pages for both that explain how to use them.

I will check those out but what about the ease of use factor. Would
you suggest something like webmin over had tailoring the config files?

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com