[CentOS] LDAP useradd command?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 17 20:51:41 UTC 2009

> "Filipe Brandenburger"
> <filbranden at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e814db780908171213h581bf267m10a95ab837be49d8 at mail.gmail.com...

> > Is there an equivalent of a useradd for systems that are using LDAP user
> > management? I know I can build an LDIF file and import it, but it is a
> > bit
> > of a pain to do it manually all the time.
>
> You can try "libuser", it's available in CentOS 5 (yum install
> libuser) and apparently has support for LDAP.
>
> "libuser" is an attempt to generalize the useradd/mod/del,
> groupadd/mod/del commands to work with generic backends. The
> implementation includes a module to work with an LDAP backend, I just
> don't know how functional/stable it is...
>
> You can start by installing the package and having a look at
> /etc/libuser.conf, and at the commands luseradd, lgroupadd, ... (the
> same ones you already use, only with the "l" prefix.)
>
> For more information: https://fedorahosted.org/libuser/

Thanks.  I tried it out but can't seem to get it to work for me.  Doesn't
display any error msgs, but doesn't actually do anything to the LDAP server.
I've looked at the site, but it is incredibly bare; not even any links for
mailing lists, support, etc.  Any ideas where I might be able to find some
help for it?  I enabled full logging on my OpenLDAP server, and I see it
failing with TLS negotiaiton for some reason, even when I don't want it to
use TLS.

Any thoughts where I can find more info?

Thanks,

Eric