[CentOS] FireWire in CentOS 5.3

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:18:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Michael A. Peters<mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> I am being given a digital camcorder.
>
> It uses Mini DV tapes and either connects via typical RCA cables (IE to
> a tv) or via FireWire. I don't have the brand on hand, but I was told it
> can be ripped to DV like any standard FireWire camcorder (I believe
> dvgrab will be sufficient).
>
> I just installed an older FireWire card I have that I used at one point
> in Fedora for my iPod. It was a PITA back then because sometimes an
> update to Fedora would break the kernel module, so I ended up just using
> USB. That was some time ago.
>
> I scrapped that computer but kept the cards, and have now installed the
> card in my current computer in hopes that I will be able to go from the
> camera to HD in preparation for editing / transcoding (to theora) for
> the web.
>
> lspci reports the following info:
>
> 01:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 IEEE-1394
> Controller (Link)
>
> What is the current state of FireWire in CentOS ?

You can collect some info about the firewire support in Fedora:

http://www.kinodv.org/article/view/162/1/13/

If the current firewire kernel driver in CentOS does not work for you,
take a look at:

http://blog.toracat.org/2008/12/getting-kino-to-work-on-centos-5/

that I wrote some time ago when I tried to get my camcorder to work.

Hope this helps,

Akemi