[CentOS] OT: RAID5, RAID50 and RAID60 performance??

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 18:20:00 UTC 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:05 PM, mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:

> We have several DELL servers with MD1000 connect to it.  Server will
> install CENTOS 5.x X86_64 version.  My questions are:
>
> 1. Which configuration have better performance RAID5, RAID50 or
> RAID60?

RAID5 does one less IO per write as it doesn't have to write the extra
parity, but RAID50 is a little worse then RAID6 because it has to
calculate 2 parity blocks.

If doing RAID6 I'd probably create one large RAID6, once you get into
RAID60 it's probably just as well do RAID10.

> 2. how much performance difference?

That really depends on HW config, software config and workload.

-Ross