[CentOS] LDAP useradd command?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:13:12 UTC 2009

"Filipe Brandenburger" <filbranden at gmail.com>
wrote in message
news:e814db780908181007g454b680ar30aaaef7ab19a3b at mail.gmail.com...
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:50, Eric
> B.<ebenze at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Any suggetsions / ideas?
>
> I believe you have to copy the certificate to /etc/openldap/cacerts/
> in the LDAP client. The certificate file name there is special, it
> should be hashed from the certificate data... I believe the easiest
> way to install it there is using the "authconfig" command and
> specifying the certificate URL.
>
> You should also have TLS_CACERTDIR /etc/openldap/cacerts on
> /etc/openldap/ldap.conf (not only /etc/ldap.conf, they are different!)
>
> I also did not have much luck with self-signed certificates with LDAP,
> I had to create a self-signed certificate for a "dummy" CA, and then
> use that certificate to sign a certificate for the LDAP server with
> the server's name as a cn.
>
> I believe you should be able to test it using "ldapsearch" with the
> "-Z" and "-ZZ" options in order to require TLS and see if that works.
> I suggest you first get that part working fine before going on with
> your libuser configuration...
>
> LDAP with TLS is kind of a pain to set up... but once it is running it
> really works OK.

Thanks.  You're a genius.  I struggled a lot, but think I finally managed to
get something working.  I tried to follow the openldap faq at
http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/185.html for creating CA
certificates, but my shell script is called CA not CA.sh.

I've done the following:
# cd /etc/pki/tls/misc/
# ./CA -newca
(filled in all prompted information, and gave it a pwd)
# openssl req -new -nodes -keyout newreq.pem -out newreq.pem
(filled in all prompted information)
# CA.sh -sign
# cp /etc/pki/CA/cacert.pem /etc/openssl/cacerts/
# cp newcert.pem /etc/openssl/ssl/servercrt.pem
# cp newreq.pem /etc/openssl/ssl/serverkey.pem

Then updated my slapd.conf to show:
TLSCACertificateFile /etc/openldap/cacerts/cacert.pem
TLSCertificateFile /etc/openldap/ssl/servercrt.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/openldap/ssl/serverkey.pem

Then updated /etc/ldap.conf to show:
tls_cacert /etc/openldap/cacerts/cacert.pem

Finally /etc/openssl/ldap.conf:
TLS_CACERT /etc/openldap/cacerts/cacert.pem

Restart the slapd daemon
# service ldap restart

And I can finally get ldapsearch to work.  Although I tried tls_cacertdir
for both /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/openldap/ldap.conf and it doesn't work for
some odd reason.  Not sure why.

# ldapsearch -Z -x "(uid=eric)"
<returns the ldif entry for uid=eric>

So next test was to create a new user.  luseradd foo works perfect.  I find
it in my ldap tree as expected.  All I had to do is modify the
create_modules and modules to specify ldap only (to avoid it modifying the
passwd and shadow files), and everything seems to be working.

Thanks for your help!

Eric