[CentOS] problem with udev when booting kernel 5.3 release 128.4.1

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Fri Aug 21 16:15:30 UTC 2009

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Rob Kampen wrote:
>
>> I am running a 64 bit 5.3 kernel on an intel mb and all has been well.
>> Today I thought it would be okay to reboot so that the latest kernel was
>> running - i.e move from 128.2.1 to 128.4.1 release.
>> The system passes POST fine, grub passes control to the 128.4.1 kernel
>> and the boot process is under way.
>> after some 30 secs the system starts beeping - continuously.
>> After I hooked up a monitor I find that udev does not come up with OK
>> and thats when the system starts the beep beep beep ......
>> No logs to see ......
>> using grub to select 128.2.1 boot fine
>> Any ideas?
>>

> I just upgraded the kernel also, and I'm having the same problem (except
> that my screen goes blank).
>
> I noticed that Interactive mode allows the system to boot.
>
> So, I'm wondering how to revert to the penultimate kernel. I tried to
> find info - all I got was
> rpm -e kernel-oldversion
> Would that make the system drop to the next-to-most-recent?
>
> I saw a few mentions of using grub - but I set the timeout to 0 (but I
> don't use that screen, so I don't even see it now). If this method is a
> permanent fix, should I set it so that it comes up on the next boot?
>
> [mykolas at sr1220 ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5
> [mykolas at sr1220 ~]$ rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.18-128.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-128.1.16.el5
> kernel-2.6.18-128.4.1.el5

Michael,
My screen goes blank too. It shows that it is starting udev but never
comes up with the [OK] - just blanks the screen and beeps.....
You may need to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf as root or via sudo and alter
timeout or set default=1 or whatever number kernel you want - remember
grub counts from 0.
I haven't tried interactive - will do that tonight.
HTH
Rob