[CentOS] Need Java plugin for Firefox in CentOS 5.3

Robert Nichols

rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Aug 24 05:32:39 UTC 2009

Somewhere during the course of recent updates I've lost the Java plugin
for Firefox.  Not sure when it happened, but I know Java was working in
Firefox earlier this year.  Firefox comes up empty when searching for a
suitable plugin.  I'm running a fully updated CentOS 5.3 with the
following packages installed:

    firefox-3.0.12-1.el5.centos.i386.rpm
    java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.115.i386.rpm
    java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.2.b09.el5.i386.rpm

Any ideas what I'm missing?  The Java plugin is not something I use
often, but when I need it, I need it.  Do I need to dump openjdk and
get Java directly from Sun?  It looks like libjavaplugin_oji.so went
away when Sun Java got replaced by the openjdk version.

                 Do NOT delete it.