[CentOS] Terminal emulation and serial ports

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Aug 25 16:11:48 UTC 2009

> Bob Beers wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Robert Moskowitz<rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have to reinit a firewall that can only be done from its console port,
> >> and I do not have an XP system with Hyperterminal on it.
> >>
> >> So I went through the archive and learned that minicom could do the job
> >> for me.  I installed it and went to configure it (minicom -s).  I can
> >> set the speeds, but the challenge is selecting the serial device.  I
> >> have a Serial-to-USB dongle, and when I connect it, the gnome hardware
> >> browser is showing a FIDI usb serial converter that was not there before
> >> connecting the dongle.  But what /dev/thingee do I put into the minicom
> >> configuration?
> >>

> > Check dmesg, but for me it's usually /dev/ttyUSB0 when I use a
> > USB-to-serial adapter.
>
> Of course first I tried dmesg, and had to go through lots of output
> until the last lines said it is indeed ttyUSB0.  Then I tried 'ls
> /dev/tty*' and there it was too.  So I am on my way (I hope)...

One of the really nifty tools (part of coreutils) is 'tail'.  The
output of dmesg (or the contents of /var/log/messages) is often large
(and generally of no interest to the task at hand) and very often the
info you want is in the last few lines (eg the blather generated by the
Hotplug code), so it is useful to do:

% dmesg|tail

OR

% tail /var/log/messages