[CentOS] CentOS Mirrors and Adjacent country groups

Tue Aug 25 21:16:13 UTC 2009

On 8/23/09, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> CentOS has developed our own mirrorlist and isolist applications and
> inside this application, we have some countries that we shift to other
> countries and we also have some country groups defined.
>
> The purpose of these groupings is to have adjacent countries grouped
> together for applications like fastest mirror and others.
>
> I will put here what we currently have and ask the community to vet the
> list for us to make it better.
<snip>

> If anything looks bad, especially for people who are in the countries
> and can tell us which ones are logically near (via the network) and not
> necessarily physically near, please reply to this thread and lets see if
> we can make the mirror network better.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Johnny and thank you for asking for feedback. I am in Cali,
Colombia, South America.
Our route to Brazil, for one of many examples, would be via Miami/Ft.
Lauderdale, Florida, USA.  So, for us, in Colombia, it is much better
to have a Mirror site in South Florida or the S.E. USA, if possible;
since I do not believe there is one in Colombia. The fact that
Colombia is adjacent to Panama, Brazil, Venezuela, etc., would make a
Mirror in one of those countries faster, *if* we had a direct route on
the Internet to them, but, we don't.  I suspect for most countries in
Latin America, this would be the same, since Latin America is so
strongly connected to Miami, "the capital" of Latin America.  Lanny