[CentOS] Antwort: Re: How to clone CentOS server ?

Frank.Brodbeck at klingel.de Frank.Brodbeck at klingel.de
Wed Aug 26 11:46:26 UTC 2009

Hi

Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> schrieb am 26.08.2009 13:31:22:
> Ivan Varbanov wrote on Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:10:27 +0300:
>
> > It will not work if the drives are in raid
>
> Don't know if that is really true ... Anyway:
> Install a minimal system and then rsync everything over.

I always prefer dump(8) and restore(8) via nc(1). All those
programs are available from a CentOS boot cd. But be aware
that this makes a full clone with all the possible crap and
leftovers which might be hanging around on your system.

So I tend to do an appropriate install of the new machine,
and selectively copy configuration files and the data I
know I want and install the packages I need. Yes, it's a bit
more work than just cloning, but also a good opportunity to
get rid of old ballast.

Frank.