[CentOS] How to clone CentOS server ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 15:08:05 UTC 2009

Ivan Varbanov wrote:

>>      >
>>      > Hello,
>>      >
>>      > I'd like to clone existing CentOS server. Can anybody
>>      > recommend any working solution to achieve that ?
>>      >

>>     http://clonezilla.org/

> It will not work if the drives are in raid

If you have RAID1, you can just pull one of the mirror drives, move it to a new
box, and let both systems rebuild to new partners.

Clonezilla is probably the fastest way to copy non-raid disks (lvm works if it
is on a single drive) because it knows enough about most filesystems to only
copy the used blocks.  It also lets you use a network share (nfs/smb/sshfs) for
intermediate storage of compressed images so you don't have to connect the
source and target drives to the same system or access them at the same time. The
target disk has to be the same size or larger and you will have some extra work
to do if the target hardware needs different disk drivers.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com