[CentOS] Supermicro Adaptec AIC-9410 HostRAID controller

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Aug 26 19:24:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009, nate wrote:
>Kurt Newman wrote:
>>
>> 1) Has anyone been able to get their AIC-9410 controller recognized in
>> CentOS 5.3?
>> [..]
>> Any ideas on where to go from here?  I'd really like to avoid software raid.
>
>Get a better RAID controller, from the looks of things that looks to
>be one of those cheap shit software RAID controllers that depend on
>the drivers to do most of the work. Supermicro last I checked at
>least didn't have any boards that had good RAID controllers on
>them, even their zero channel controllers while I'm sure are probably
>higher grade then the on board controller still look poor by comparison.

I'll second that.  I have a 2U Supermicro box with a X5DPL-TGM
main board and Adaptec AIC-8120 on-board controller.  CentOS 5.x
works fine with the individual drives BIOS configured as JBOD
devices, leaving any RAID to Linux software.

We have another 1U Supermicro box with a H8DAR-T main board.
This has an Adaptec AIC-8130, but that's disabled in favor of a
3ware controller which does Real Raid(tm).

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

If there's anything a public servant hates to do it's something for the
public.  -- K. Hubbard