[CentOS] saslauthd

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Wed Aug 26 21:42:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 14:07 +0200, Michael Kress wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl schrieb:
> > If it doesn't matter which POP/IMAP server you use I would recommend going
> > with Dovecot.
>
> The purpose for using /etc/sasldb2 is to use SMTP AUTH. (See my other
> posting).

Dovecot can be used for incoming SMTP AUTH with postfix.  It does not
support outgoing SMTP auth (client side), but you don't need that for a
server.  It is much easier to setup than Cyrus and in the two days since
I installed it, seems to be quite reliable.  Whether you will be able to
migrate your existing database will depend on what format it is in and
which authentication mechanisms you want to support.

See: http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication  discusses the various formats of
the dovecot password database and the types of authentication supported
by each.

Nataraj