[CentOS] SELinux messages after compiling new kernel

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:04:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:46, Sergio Belkin<sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim, thanks for the suggestion, but Firstly: I need a newer kernel in
> order to get IO statistics from tools like atop, pidstat, etc. And
> secondly and most important: my boss wants that :)

Then CentOS is not what you want.

There is a reason why RHEL/CentOS does not ship with the latest kernel
(and other components) and backports fixes instead. It's not trivial
to make different versions of these components work together. If you
try to replace the kernel (or other core components) you will see how
painful it is. In fact, you started to see it already. You may try to
continue to go that way, but I doubt anyone in this list will be able
to help you there... you're pretty much on your own.

> So I'd be glad to hear other kind of solution :)

Look at the latest Fedora or Ubuntu or another one of the "cutting
edge" distributions that ship with more recent versions of components.

Or ask yourself (or your boss) *WHY* you think you really need a later
version of a certain component. What is your real problem? Is it
support to a certain hardware? Is it network related? Is it
(unfounded) fear that the kernel in CentOS might be vulnerable? It
might be possible to solve your problem using CentOS in another way,
if you come back to the list with the real problem we might be able to
help you better.

HTH,
Filipe