[CentOS] my fonts look horrible (centos5.3/xfce)

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 21:12:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 17:03, Ryan Pugatch<rpug at tripadvisor.com> wrote:
>> Would you care to show the output of "rpm -qi freetype"?
>
> Yes, I changed the variable in the spec and installed the RPM I built.
> I am on a 64-bit machine but did not install a 32-bit RPM.
>
> Looks like there are two versions.. the original and mine.  What should
> I do?

If you have problems on 32-bit applications (I, for instance, used to
run a 32-bit Firefox on a 64-bit machine to get Flash support without
nspluginwrapper) you should build a 32-bit RPM and install it too.

You can do that with this command:

$ LDFLAGS=-m32 rpmbuild --target i386 -bb freetype.spec

You might need to install glibc-devel.i386 and libX11-devel.i386 to
build that one.

I also noticed that you rebuilt 2.2.1-20 while 2.2.1-21.el5_3 is
available, you might want to update it to the latest.

I actually had a look at your last screenshot, and it does not seem
too bad... It looks like the quality is already much better, I believe
BCI is already working for you. If you still feel that an improvement
is needed, then you might want to switch to the msttcorefonts, you
might need to do that in Thunderbird's preferences though.

HTH,
Filipe