[CentOS] using Linux as a NAS / SAN device

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 22:36:14 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at using Linux as a NAS / SAN device, and would like some
> input from other's who have done this before?
>
> How would it compare to commercial SAN devices, Thecus N8800SAS
> (http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=11&pid=177&set_language=english)
> or something similar to these?
>
> I would probably use hardware RAID 10, and could go with either SAS /
> SATA, and then probably offer iSCSI, Samba. NFS & rsync.
> In terms of servers hardware, well either Tyan / SuperMicro / Intel /
> Dell would be fine as well. But, my question is rather from a linux
> point of view, how would Linux compare to dedicated NAS devices, in
> terms of the OS managing the device?

These aren't centos based - or even all linux, but the software-NAS
players are:
http://www.openfiler.com/
http://www.freenas.org/
http://www.nexenta.com/corp/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=67

Or you can just use a generic disto with separate configuration commands
for each protocol.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com