[CentOS] looking for RAID 1+0 setup instructions?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 18:59:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Oliver Ransom<oliver at ransom.com.au> wrote:
> On 31/08/2009, at 1:18 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone please assist met with some software RAID 1+0 setup
>> instructions? I have searched the web, but couldn't find any. I found
>> a lot of RAID 10 setup instructions, but it doesn't help me.
>
> Hi Rudi
> RAID 10 and RAID 1+0 are the same thing.
>
> See here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels#RAID_10_.28RAID_1.2B0.29
> or here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#Linux_MD_RAID_10

Hi Oliver,

It's not the same thing :)
Although they work, and do the same, the installer CD & mdadm needs to
support it. The specific appliance that I want to install, doesn't
support RAID 10, so I need to install RAID 1 + RAID 0, i.e. setting 2x
RAID 1 mirrors, and then stripe then in RAID0 - but once the first 1
mirrors are setup, I can't stripe them.

I've seen people use LVM to add them to one volume, but the installer
doesn't see to like that either.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers