[CentOS] looking for RAID 1+0 setup instructions?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 20:40:41 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Miguel Medalha<miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:
>>> This page from openfiler.com clearly states the following:
>>>
>>> "Openfiler supports RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6 and RAID 10."
>>>
>>> http://www.openfiler.com/products/openfiler-architecture
>>>
>> The page even shows the dialog box to create a RAID 10 group!
>>

> What I could gather, is that the particular setup is only available
> one I have it setup, meaning I can't have RAID 10 running on the
> underlying OS.
>
> I don't know if this makes sense, but to get their RAID10, I first
> need to install it, then use the web interface to setup RAID 10.
> Instead I would like to have openfiler running on the RAID 10 setup as
> well.

You are probably better off if you don't mix the installed OS with the
partitions you want to export, so you would use a small raid1 for the OS, then
add everything else after it is up and running.  I'd do it that way for other
distributions too, even if I eventually want /home or /var on different raid
partitions.  It is easy enough to mount the new space under a temporary name,
copy over the existing contents, rename the old directories and set up fstab to
mount the new ones when you reboot.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com