[CentOS] A bit more on the Firefox 3.5.issue

Mon Aug 10 21:43:12 UTC 2009
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com>

I set up a CentOS desktop computer for my brother and his kids. When
Firefox 3.5 came out he decided to download and install it like he
would Windows (he doesn't yet understand the repository system). He's
been telling me that it works fine, even though I was skeptical due to
my experience with Firefox 3.5 on CentOS 5.3. Then today, he says,
"Oh, by the way, the CentOS computer has been rebooting itself every
now and then." What?! (This is where he is in Linux -- doesn't realize
that it's not like Windows, that it's not supposed to reboot
randomly.) "Does it do it when you're in Firefox?" "Yes."

He's okay, though, just a matter of uninstalling his home root version
of Firefox -- I've been updating his computer with yum, so he still
has the newest *repository* release of Firefox also.

At any rate, just to let everyone know, whatever the issue is with
Firefox 3.5 and *some* CentOS 5.3 computers (an Xorg graphics card
incompatibility issue?) -- it goes beyond the RPM package released by
Michael Harris. As for myself, I'm just going to wait for the
repository Firefox 3.5 upgrade.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3