[CentOS] Centos 5.3 install on gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P motherboard

Mon Aug 31 07:08:18 UTC 2009
Nathan Norton <nathan at zomojo.com>

Hi,

I am having some difficulties installing centos 5.3 on the gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P motherboard.

Has anyone got centos booting on this motherboard?

so far I have tried the following.

+ disabled the jmicron controller  as this caused errors on booting
    JMB363 bad irq(0): will probe later error (this error caused the installation to stop at this point)

+ tested all components in another computer, they all work.

+ remove all unnecessary components from the pci bus.

+ power supply is not an issue since I have used a 850W PSU

Basically what I am seeing is once the installation process starts and asks do i have another sata disk, and I select no the screen freezes at this point *every* single time, the screen is always blue with a couple of greek looking characters on the screen. No logs are left at this point in the installation, so it is making it difficult to diagnose.

Today I installed the grml  distribution and it worked with no issues, it uses a base kernel of 2.6.28. so there is nothing wrong with the hardware but centos still does not want to install on this motherboard.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nathan