[CentOS] Split dns issues

Sun Aug 2 20:21:11 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Christoph Maser wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 02.08.2009, 21:16 +0200 schrieb Jason Pyeron:
>> We have internal DNS servers that will override the A record for selected hosts.
>> Example mail.pdinc.us will have a different internal ip than external. This has
>> always been a fine way to handle it as the zone files are for that specific
>> host, and there have never been subdomains before.
>>
>> Now we want to just override the MX records for pdinc.us without having to merge
>> or manage all the records for every entry/subdoamin in the zone file for
>> pdinc.us.
>>
>> Any ideas/questions?
>
> Bind supports split view out of the box check the documentation the
> keywod is "view"

Bind will do split views, but unless you are short on machines it is easier to
just point internal machines at different servers which are configured as
primary/secondary for the zone and put only the public view on exposed machines
that are registered as the official masters.  And if you are short of machines,
you might want to outsource the public DNS anyway.  The public side typically
only needs a few addresses that rarely change so it is not difficult to maintain
separately and if they are separate there is no need to permit recursive lookups
on the public-facing servers.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com