[CentOS] differences in DNS between boxes

Tue Aug 4 21:54:30 UTC 2009
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com>

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 21:31:22 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote on Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:56:22 +0000 (UTC):
>
>> Please refer to my thread "excessive DNS slows httpd"
>
> Why don't you keep posting in there then?

Because the new title reflects a new focus, and I hoped
to attract different people.

>> Suggestions would be most welcome.
>
> Foremost, you want to find out why those queries are generated despite
> the fact that hostnamelookups are off. That is surely something in your
> configuration or a web application. It's not a general problem of Apache
> on CentOS, mine are all not doing that.
>
> Kai

Until now, for a long time, mine wasn't doing it either.

Part of the problem was suggested by someone on the Apache group;
there are two problems:

1. Both boxes have nscd, but it was not running on the CentOS
   box.  Now that I fixed that, all but the first connection
   are rapid, as you might expect.

2. We still do not why the change in httpd.conf caused the
   problem to appear.  However, my belief that there was a
   difference between the two machines is accounted for
   by the difference in /etc/init.d/nscd . When I tried it
   for the first time this morning, the box that previously
   been fast was slow.  No doubt, the nscd storage had
   timed out.

Except that nscd was not set to run, it is probably not
specifically a CentOS problem.  Perhaps I made a wrong
choice in setup?

Mike.