[CentOS] Battery condition tools CentOS/Dell

Thu Aug 6 14:59:39 UTC 2009

Robert Heller wrote:

>> Hello all:
>>    Does anyone know of a tool/project that will allow me to read the
>> battery condition (not the charge status) on a Dell laptop battery?
>> Under XP there is a utility that warns that the battery is still
>> holding a charge but that the battery is degraded and should be
>> replaced.
>>

> If the laptop uses the (old!) APM interface, xapm will work.  If the
> laptop uses the (newer, current) ACPI interface, I have written a little
> utility that displays the battery state.  Visit
> http://www.deepsoft.com/OddsAndEnds and scroll down to the section
> titled 'TkBattery' for more information.  This program just
> reads/monitors the files under /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/ and
> /proc/acpi/battery/, which map to the state of the power cord (plugged

Interesting. According to info, my battery was built 2007/04/09. When I
started using this box I would get 2.5 hrs on battery, now I am
fortunate to go 1.25 hrs. So either Centos is pulling more A, or the
battery has aged and time to get a new one for travel purposes.

Oh and the "design capacity" is 1566 mA, and the charge is 1539 mAh. Yet
the 'run time' is half of what it use to be...

I don't like the idea of running without a battery while on AC. It is
not an easy trick to remove/add the battery on this HP nc2400, and I
frequently pull it off my desk to work elsewhere.